Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Col. E.A. Floyd

Cadet Fred Hardman and his father (photo courtesy of Fred Hardman)

Col. Floyd was a mainstay at Hargrave for a very very long time. I got to know him during my years there (1959-1965). At that point in time he was mainly retired and was severely crippled. If I recall correctly, his wife was in charge of the library. He took all of his meals at Hargrave at the staff Headtable -- seven days a week.

This man was a true professional and entirely devoted to Hargrave and the welfare of the cadets. As many of my era will remember, Col. Floyd was notorious for writing down notes (mostly positive things) on a small tear-off notepad he always had with him. He then pointed to you to come over to him and he'd give you the note without saying anything to you, yet with a sly smile was on his face. One of the most positive men I have ever known...

Fred L. Hardman
fredhardman2000@yahoo.com
Classs of '65

1 comment:

Unknown said...

IAte at his table one year. I remember his Dallmatian dog and his grey Ford car. We put a "car bomb" firework in it once. He used to say "Get Otta my light". His wife ran the dances.
leonrue@yahoo.com